Museums and galleries are places of work like any other. At TWAM (Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums) we provide a service to the public through our venues, but much more goes on than what is shown to them within a venue. Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums have 9 venues under their umbrella and each venue prides itself on concentrating on a different aspect of Tyneside’s past, present and future!
Arbeia Roman Fort and Museum stands above the entrance to the River Tyne, and guarded the main sea route to Hadrian's Wall. It was a key garrison and military supply base to other forts along the Wall and is an important part of the history of Roman Britain and South Tyneside.
South Shields Museum and Art Gallery celebrates the rich heritage of South Tyneside and the people who shaped it. The museum is spread over two floors telling the story of the borough's social, industrial and maritime history from 4,000 years ago to the present day through a range of displays, exhibitions and nationally significant as well as local works of art.
We offer a 1 week work experience placement between the two venues, that aims to give you a quality work experience that incorporates your own interests for your own development; whilst uncovering some of what goes into a successful Museum behind the scenes.
Over the space of a working week (5 days) you will be placed with staff at Arbeia and South Shields Museum, who are able to tell you about their department’s role in the organisation and the work that it does. You will be able to work alongside museum professionals, discover what they do on a day to day basis as well as planning for TWAMs future projects, programmes and events.
A typical working day will be 9am-3pm with departments allocated to make the most of what is happening in the museums that week
We will try where possible to fit in with your areas of interest and can determine more detail in the planning stages of your week with us.
- You will be expected to fully participate in the departments tasks set for you.
- You will be expected to complete work set for you with care and diligence.
- When in public areas we ask that you follow our good codes of conduct and be helpful and polite at all times, you will be given an induction pack to give you all the information you need.
- You will have the opportunity to work towards an Arts Award during you week with us (costs and more information available on request)
- You will be able to talk with the Volunteer Coordinator before the placement to ask questions and receive information, you can also arrange a pre visit if you would like to.
- Your school will be able to contact the Volunteer Coordinator to gain information they may need regarding H&S and conduct.
Why get involved?
This is a fabulous opportunity to see what is behind the scenes of a Museum.
It will look great on a CV or university application
TWAM gets to see things from your perspective. We encourage you to be open and tell us your ideas and constructive criticisms.
TWAM hopes to encourage younger people to take ownership of their heritage and Museums so that new generations will use them to find their place in the world.
How to get involved?
- Log in or sign up to volunteer for TWAM.
- Accept this challenge.
- Await a response from us with more information.