Our work experience weeks are aimed solely at school age young people who are required to find work experience during their academic year.
Museums and galleries are places of work like any other. At TWAM (Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums) we provide a service to the public through our venues, but much more goes on than what is shown to them within a venue. Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums have 9 Museums under their umbrella and each venue prides itself on concentrating on a different aspect of Tyneside’s past, present and future!
The Great North Museum (GNM) is a venue devoted to Ancient History, Archaeology and Natural Sciences and has teams that reflect that at the Museum.
It also has venue based teams including Learning and the Front of House Team.
We offer a 1 week work experience placement that ensures you get a quality work experience that incorporates what interests you for your own development; whilst discovering that there is much more that goes into a successful Museum than that which is shown to the public.
Over the space of a working week (5 days Mon - Fri) you will be placed with a host who are able to tell you about their departments role in the organisation and the work that it does. You will be able to work alongside Museum Professionals, discover what they do on a day to day basis as well as planning for TWAMs future projects, programmes and events.
A typical working day will be 9am-4pm
Typically your week may look like this – we will try where possible to fit in areas of interest for you. This can be gained from conversation with you in the planning stages of your week with us and involve more teams that meet your needs.
Monday – Front of House Team
Tuesday – Biology
Wednesday – Learning
Thursday - ERIC
Friday - Archaeology
- You will be expected to fully participate in the departments tasks set for you.
- You will be expected to complete work set for you with care and diligence.
- When in public areas we ask that you follow our good codes of conduct and be helpful and polite at all times, you will be given an induction pack to give you all the information you need.
- You will be able to talk with the Volunteer Coordinator before the placement to ask questions and receive information, you can also arrange a pre visit if you would like to.
- Your school will be able to contact the Volunteer Coordinator to gain information they may need regarding H&S and conduct.
- Applications close 31st October 2018
Why get involved?
This is a fabulous opportunity to see what is behind the scenes of a Museum.
It will look great on a CV or university application
TWAM gets to see things from your perspective. We encourage you to be open and tell us your ideas and constructive criticisms.
TWAM hopes to encourage younger people to take ownership of their heritage and Museums so that new generations will use them to find their place in the world.
How to get involved?
- Log in or sign up to volunteer for TWAM.
- Accept this challenge.
- Await a response from us with more information.