The Hatton gallery will re-open in autumn 2017, it will be a vibrant and modern exhibition space bringing about a new era for art and learning in the city.
The role will begin in October 2017
Even though the Hatton is closed until autumn 2017, the Hatton will still have a presence in the city. A temporary pavilion which showcases the Hatton’s history and Collection will tour around six different locations in Newcastle and Gateshead beginning in spring 2017.
As a collections and research volunteer we would like you to work with the Keeper of Art to research the collections, the history of the Hatton, and/or the Hatton archive and to assist the Art Team with archiving and cataloguing the collections, including use of the collections management system KeEmu
To build a dedicated team, we would like volunteers to be able to;
- commit to at least one 4 hour afternoon session per week
- Ideally we would ask for 6 months minimum involvement
As one of our volunteer team we would like you to:
- Invigilate the Hatton’s new Public Study Space, ensuring the safety of the collections and visitors
- Provide support and advice to aid members of the public in their research
- Practice safe object-handling and show others how to handle the works in the collection safely, including paintings and works on paper
What we would love you to bring to the role:
- An interest and passion in the gallery and a desire to share this with others
- Active engagement with our collection and all our visitors
- Enjoy meeting and chatting to people from all cultural background.
Why get involved?
This is a rare opportunity to work with the Art team of the Hatton gallery to research and assist with the shaping of this redevelopment of a gallery.
You will be able to work alongside Museum professionals and gain insight into whats 'behind the scenes' of a public space. Gaining workshadowing experience and training as you go.
It will look wonderful on a CV!
*Please note: we are happy to cover any volunteer transport costs involved with this role.
How to get involved?
We expect this to be a highly sought after role so,
1. Log in or sign up to Volunteer for TWAM.
2. Accept this challenge.
3. Await a response from our team.
- Working as part of a team
- Independent working
- Project Management
- Archiving and documentation
- Working with Museum Collections
- Volunteering from home
- Quiet working
- Contemporary Art
- Arts and crafts
- Fine Art