We are seeking regular help to support the running our Thursday Museum Mice sessions from 10am - 12pm at the Great North Museum, Hancock.
Museum Mice is a Mixed Under 5’s session on a Thursday Morning which follows a theme over the course of 4 weeks. Each month the theme will change to focus on a different aspect of the museum, and each week we will explore the theme in a different way. These sessions are designed to welcome our youngest visitors to the museum and help ignite their curiosity in our collections.
Session 1: will normally be located in our mouse house space and will be a general introduction to the theme.
Session 2: will normally be based out in one of our galleries and will encourage children to engage directly with the collection.
Session 3: will normally be based in our mouse house and be more ‘sensory’ or ‘movement’ based.
Session 4: will normally be based in our Clore Learning Suite and will be a ‘Messy’ based activity.
Occasionally this format will change to suit the spaces available during the month.
- Setting up the space with activities,
- Helping to prepare activities,
- Building positive relationships with young children, parents and carers
- Helping visitors engage in activities
- Helping to review the activities through gathering of visitor feedback and observation.
- Assisting with tidying away activities at the end of the session.
- For those that are interested, opportunities can be arranged for helping to develop themes and activities.
*Please note: we are happy to cover any volunteer transport costs involved with this role.
Why get involved?
- Inspire young children’s curiosity
- Help make our museum a welcoming place for families.
- Build confidence with working with young children and their parents and Carers.
- Learn about Schema based play and other ways to engage young explorers
- Learn about the different stages of Development for young children.
How to get involved?
- Log in or sign up to Volunteer for Us.
- Accept this challenge.
- Email Georgina Scott directly at the Great North Museum: Hancock to express your interest. Please include a sentence stating why you would be good at this role. You can email Georgina at email@example.com
- Working as part of a team
- Working with Children (under 5's)
- Teaching and Training
- Working with the public
- Meeting new people
- Learning and Education