The Hatton Gallery has undergone a £3.8 million redevelopment and is a vibrant and modern exhibition space bringing about a new era for art and learning in the city. The Hatton has a history of working with different communities both in and outside of the University. We are looking for volunteers to encourage and assist individuals and community groups to visit the Hatton Gallery and be an advocate for the Gallery.
As a volunteer we would like you to:
- Meet and greet the public, welcoming them to the gallery, offering helpful information to visitors to ensure they get the most out of their visit
- Lead regular tours of the exhibitions, engaging the public in lively discussionabout the works on show (a full briefing will be given for each exhibition)
- Provide information about the Hatton’s star attraction, the Merz Barn Wall,and its maker Kurt Schwitters (training will be provided)
- Assist with events big and small , including exhibition openings
- Support talks programmes, introduce speakers.
- Encourage participation and enhance the experience of visitors
- Opportunities to blog, photograph and update our social media networks
Why get involved?
• Training from the Learning Officer, Participation Officer and other teams from Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums
• Gaining knowledge about key works in the Hatton collection
• Becoming part of the Hatton valued network of volunteers
• An interest and passion in the gallery and a desire to share this with others
• Active engagement with our offsite programme and all our visitors
• Enjoy meeting and chatting to people from all cultural backgrounds
• To build a dedicated team, we would like volunteers to be able to commit to at least one 4
Hour session per week
*Please note: we are happy to cover any volunteer transport costs involved with this role.
How to get involved?
- Accept this challenge.
- Await a response from us with more information.
- Working as part of a team
- Independent working
- Arts and crafts
- Working with Museum Collections
- Working with the public
- Contemporary Art
- Fine Art
- Meeting new people