Play + Invent is a new programme at Discovery Museum encouraging children and young people to tinker, experiment, design, and build their own inventions. We aim to use as much recycled and upcycled material as possible for the programme, as part of our green initiative, and to encourage a new generation of engineers to think about their materials in a sustainable way.
We are looking for donations of the following items:
- Egg crate (clean)
- Bottle caps (washed out thoroughly)
- Cardboard tubes of all sizes (except toilet roll tubes)
- Plastic tubes/hoses
- Nuts and bolts
- Screws and nails
- Ring pulls (tabs from cans)- no sharp edges though please!
- Wooden items (clothes pins, spoons, spatulas, old toys, drum sticks, that kind of thing)- no splinters please!
- Fabric and plastic bags
- Decorative fabrics/plastic/paper/bubble wrap/etc
- VHS tapes
- Cassette tapes and boxes
- Computer keyboards
- Small plastic items (shower curtain rings, hooks, suction cups,
- Broken headphones
- Broken video game consoles/controllers
- Broken TV/etc remotes
- Tape decks
- VHS players
- Please do not donate any old computers or technological appliances with storage capability.
How to get involved?
1. Log in or sign up to Volunteer for TWAM.
2. Accept this challenge.
3. Bring your donated items in bags labeled: FOR PLAY + INVENT. These can be dropped off at the Discovery Museum Welcome Desk.