As part of our Mouse House Under 5’s Programme we are due to run our fifth Toddler Takeover event on Friday 30th November. It will be an opportunity for Toddlers,Preschoolers, and their carers to discover the unique qualities of a museum environment and how museums can contribute to their learning journeys as they grow.
We are looking for volunteers that will be able to commit to 4 hours of their time between 9am – 1pm on Friday 30th November, and an additional hour to meet with our event organiser prior to this date.
Over the course of a morning on Friday 30th November we will be inviting 180 toddlers (staggered) to engage with a series of activities on the first floor of our museum. These activities will be a fun and simple introduction to ‘musuem jobs’. Each toddler will receive a job checklist of things to do which will take them to stations set up around the museum. These activities will include:
Going on a Gallery patrol
Making ‘puffballs’ to pack our museum objects safely
Carefully transporting objects
Sorting our Museum 'store room'
Sweeping and dusting
Singing and signing
Between 30th October –27th November
- Meet with our event organiser to discuss the event in more detail and what you will be doing on the day (1 hour)
Friday 30th November
Before the event starts: (1 Hour)
- Help to set up some of our activities, and familiarize with the space
During the event: (2 1/2 Hours)
- Direct visitors to the event
- Help support Toddlers and their carers in discovering new experiences through playful interaction with the activities.
- Support toddlers and carers in feeling some of our curious objects with care.
- Help our visitors to feel welcomed.
After the event: (30 minutes)
- Help to pack away activities and objects.
Why get involved?
- Gain experience supporting a nationally recognised museum learning programme
- Develop skills engaging with babies aged 18months – 5 years and their carers
- Develop your CV
*Please note: we are happy to cover some volunteer transport costs
How to get involved?
- Log in or sign up to Volunteer for TWAM.
- Accept this challenge.
- Await a response from us with more information.
- Meet with a member of the Learning Team at the Great North Museum: Hancock prior to the event.
Please send this form to firstname.lastname@example.org. Anita/Jenny will add new challenges to the website every Wednesday.
- Customer Service
- Working with Children (under 5's)
- Working as part of a team
- Meeting new people
- Working with the public